Saturday, December 31, 2011

Soundtrack...2011

Let me start by saying that I am not a musician. I can't sing and often forget the lyrics to songs, I don't play an instrument and have never had the opportunity to learn (aside from a brief stint with the clarinet in middle school.) I do remember knowing how to dance but years of dancing in the dark have tested my confidence and like all music lovers I do sing loudly and fearlessly in the car or in my studio. I am sure there have been many a queer stares my way as I drive down Rt. 1.

But my life has a soundtrack. I am enamored with the way music can stoke emotions. I find myself laying down songs to every significant moment in my life. My first kiss, the first dance at my wedding, the birth of my son and every time my daughter smiles. I hear these songs and I am transported back to moments that have shaped me. I can remember how things felt from the taste of chapstick and awkwardness of kissing with braces to the swish of lace and satin at my wedding. I can smell my sweet brand new baby boy and see my daughter's twinkly eyes. Magic!

This year, I have been paying attention to those songs that have inspired a reaction and I want to leave you with a list of songs that have made it onto my soundtrack. Some of the reasons are silly, some are heartbreaking but all of the moments were felt and acknowledged. Maybe your life's soundtrack is similar. Have fun listening and be sure to share some of your favorite songs in the comments. Happiest of New Years! xo

  1. The silliest: LMFAO, Sexy and I know it. Please don't judge but this one cracks me up!
  2. The sexiest: Ricky Martin, Juramento. People who know me, know how much this is a fantasy of mine.
  3. The sweetest: Cyra Morgan, Sanctuary. Cyra is just so beautiful and I am so blessed to have her in my life.
  4. The one that makes me remember: Creed, Rain. The rain, the regret, the wonder, everything all fell into place and it was important...then this song played on the radio.
  5. The sentence I could not complete: Colbie Caillat, I Never Told You. I think we all have these moments when we can't say anything right.
  6. The one that makes me melt: Amos Lee, Arms of a Woman. I hope to be this woman...the one that feels like home.
  7. The one that fills me with HOPE: Amos Lee, Windows Are Rolled Down. Life keeps moving and the wind keeps changing but there is always a moment when you take on these changes and accept them.
  8. A new friendship: Evan St. Martin: Just In Time. A new friend and incredible talent! I can't wait to see him fly.
  9. The one that empowered me: Ingrid Michaelson, Maybe. Sometimes you just need to walk away.
  10. The cutest by far: Zooey Deschanel & Joseph Gordon-Levitt, What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? Sweet isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment