Monday, May 17, 2010

The Divine D'Arcy Hollis–Altered Book Artist & One Cool Lady!

My Name is D'Arcy Hollis. I grew up surrounded by art in it's many forms. My Great Aunt was an artist in the Toronto area, and won numerous Canadian awards, my mother and father are both quite talented, though they never had the time to pursue their passions. Although I always had an urge to try my hand at painting, I never did....I was afraid of failing, being compared to others in the family, and well...showing how little talent I actually possess.

Times change. Over the past few years a number of life-changing events have pushed my little boat onto a different course. One of the things I've realized is that life IS really too short...and if not now....WHEN? SO, I've taken the leap and am free falling into the world of art. I've decided I really don't care what others think of my work. It truly makes me happy (and even laugh right out loud at times), and that is all that matters. I did not realize before that most artists are not BORN with a super natural talent! Most have talent, but they need to learn techniques, and practice, practice, practice - as well as be willing to simply try!

This is my first book, and it has opened up a whole world to me! I will never look at anything the same way again!! I am constantly examining everything to see if it could have a use in "my book". Trash goes through the third degree before being put in the bin, magazines are scrutinized and torn apart, 5 min. walks now take 25! I "see" so much more. Patterns, textures, colors jump out at me from seemingly the most mundane objects.

I love nature and animals. The beauty, simplicity and non-judgement fills my heart with love. Watching my puppy roll around on her back on the front lawn, legs in the air, wiggling and growling, and yes....smiling, is probably one of the most cathartic experiences in my life. No pretense, just pure bliss. This is what this book has brought to me. I lose the judgement and just experience the silliness!

I hope you enjoy my book as much as I've enjoyed creating it.


D'Arcy

No comments:

Post a Comment