Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What Is an Altered Book?

That is the question that I asked myself when the Lovely Laura Gaffke of Above Elite Studios reached into her bag of tricks and presented me with the most exquisitely crafted page turner I have ever seen. The book she showed me was a book that she had been working on with her friend and colleague, Tina Hirsig (LauratwoTina).
Laura and Tina met while completing their M.F.A.
at Goddard College in New Hampshire. As part of their thesis work, Laura and Tina explored teaching, learning and co-authorship through drawing exchanges, collaborative book making and mixed media artwork sent through the mail. They continue to work together and have an on-going blog that personifies their creative efforts.

Laura recently opened her studio and heart to 6 artists who were interested in the Altered Book. For me it was an opportunity to experiment and push myself into thinking beyond the four sides of a canvas. As a graphic designer and lover of typography and the printed word, it was initially difficult to undertake the task of "defacing" a printed piece...someone else's work. But the process became cathartic for me. I was not defacing anything, instead I was giving it a new life. At times I would find myself reading pages of the books that I altered and finding little phrases and treasured words which I would use to jump start the paintings that I was creating. The process became a conversation with myself, an exploration of possibilities not only technical experimentation with mixed media but ideas and forced interpretations.
The book I created as a result of Laura's Altered Book Class became a journal of colors, poetry, and emotions all laid out within the pages of this little square book and ready for someone to handle, read, touch and understand.

To celebrate these newly found creative friendships and to open up the conversation regarding the Altered Book and creative experimentation The Riverside Artists Studio & Gallery welcomes Laura and her students for an exhibit of work created during and as a result of taking Laura's class. You will be treated to a collection of altered books as well as works inspired by the books and techniques learned through the process. It will be a celebration of muses!!! Food, Fun and Friendship are promised.

Artists Featured include: Linda Comstock, Millie Donovan (of The Riverside), D'Arcy Hollis, Kathleen Neal, Joyita Neerkaje (of Above Elite Studios), Kathy Johnson and Laura Gaffke (of Above Elite Studios).

When: May 21st - June 18th
Where: The Riverside Artists Studio & Gallery
8-12 Broad Street
Westerly, Rhode Island
Opening Reception: May, 21st from 5-8 p.m.

1 comment: