Monday, May 17, 2010

The Precocious Kathy Johnson– Altered Book Artist with a Surprising Kick

So one of my favorite people (actually they are all my favs) is Kathy Johnson. Kathy is a statuesque woman who stands tall and graceful. Her demeanor is quiet and she usually sits back and observes. I like to think that she is enjoying the show and letting inspiration come to her. Her voice screams when she presents her work. She is a collage artist with the amazing ability of using threads, fabric, handmade paper, natural elements, touches of sparkle and even zippers in her tiny canvas. I was immediately drawn to her pieces and indulged in one called "Spring" which now graces my workspace at home. It was enough for me to hear her through her work and now I have the privilege of having her as a friend and fellow artist. Here are a few, concise words from our Kathy. We are grateful to have her among us during the upcoming exhibition of "Altered Books" opening at The Riverside (8-12 Broad Street, Westerly) this Friday, May 21st from 5-8 p.m.

I am inspired by nature and enthusiastic, passionate people.

This book has helped me to think about creating in different ways with new techniques and materials. It was fun to experiment with no commitment - you just rip the page out if you don't like it. The photo transfer technique inspired me to create several new collage pieces using my own photos.

– Kathy Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment